Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Walk a mile in my shoes.

  Placing shoes on childrens feet, in South Africa. The church that we attend, Northpoint, is starting taking donations this coming sunday for gently used or new shoes for children, even adults. They are also asking for Soccer balls. All of this will be sent to South Africa for the children and families there, that are in need.
  We will be gladly participating in this, but it really has made me think. How many every day luxuries that we take for granted. I mean beyond cars, cell phones etc. But just the clothes on our back and the shoes on our feet. Could you Imagine having to walk everywhere in the summer or winter barefoot? Now I highly enjoy being barefoot, in the comfort of my own home, or my nice grassy yard. But if it came to walking miles on pavement, dirt, gravel etc. I know I would be complaining. I wondered then what God and the bible has to say about giving to the needy, and the options were endless on what to put on here. Hebrews 13:16 "And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased"
 I don't like that I have felt before as if I don't have enough. Why does that person have a nicer house than I do, or a nicer car or what ever it may be. We work hard, but why do we struggle sometimes.Yet we are so well off compared to a vast majority of people. Why do we care so much about what other people have. Why do we always have to feel like we are in competition with each other, to see who can have the bigger house, or the best clothes etc. It terrifies me raising Grace in a society like that. I don't feel like I was like that often growing up, but it was brought more apparent in more personality later in life, after High School. Maybe it was then, I had my own job, I am supporting myself now, and I have to prove something to someone!? Do I think that God is going to love me more if my house is nice and I have a lot of nice things filling it. Absolutely not! Why do these foolish things run through my mind! (I am praying that I am not alone here and at least one other person is nodding their heading in agreement while reading!!) I want to be rich in his word and be filled up with Him! Not these materialistic things that have no real value on my life! I just wish we could get this image away from everyone and stop trying to impress each other and start impressing God!
 My intentions with todays post was to let you all know how you could help, if you haven't heard or dont attend northpoint.You can contact me or if you know anyone else that attends Northpoint. I would gladly pick up any donations anyone has. Sorry for going on a rant about things that go on in my head!

1 comment:

The Oxford Family said...

It is so easy to get caught up in trying to keep up! When I quit my job to stay home with my kids it really hit me what was important, having this time with them even if it meant a few less "toys" and things we really don't need!